Once again my focus is set on the quest for the truth...not the truth as perceived by certain individuals but my own informed interpretations which have been ascertained by my own endeavours to seek the true meanings and philosophies as written in the manuscripts by the Guru's.

I must concede that as someone who loves philosophy, I was pleasantly surprised at the sheer amount and depth of the philosophies available in the Guru Granth Sahib. This quest will undoubtedly take me the rest of my life and even then it will not be complete, no doubt this will become a valuable resource by then and someone will endeavour to continue this work.


My main aim was to discuss certain philosophies in detail, especially those relevant to NRI's (Non Resident Indians) and those who have been brought up in a western culture. It hasn't been easy for me to find an authoritative source, but I am beginning to seek out persons and publications that have unbiased views on Sikhism. I have had to deal with breaking down the barriers of my own mind that have been erected over the years of western education and conditioning. I've learned that the east places great importance on spirituality combined with philosophy whereas the west view these two subjects as two different matters and in my experience does not place a huge importance of philosophical thinking. See my blogs on philosophical thinking; Possible Reality and Constant State of Evolution.

You will only gain knowledge by seeking. The more you become enlightened the more your boundaries will crumble around you, leaving you free to venture further. Your perceptions will begin to change once you are on the path of enlightenment.


I am fascinated by the respect Sikhism has for other religions, and unlike some religions there is no evidence to suggest that Sikhs have ever forced anyone to convert to their religion, on the contrary, Sikhs have fought to defend the downtrodden and oppressed, as were the Hindus during the Mughal rule in India.

In India now there are many different customs, languages, faiths and religions and yet all seem to be living in harmony up to the motto of unity in diversity.


Having said all that, I must add that studying religion goes hand in hand with studying history and in doing so I have touched on other cultures and religions that pre-date Sikhism, so although this blog started with a view to focus on Sikhism, I have added my research of world religions especially the earlier ones. Furthermore, it is my understanding that astrology, numerology, occultism, witchcraft, paganism, all have a part to play in the grand scheme of things and whilst some are more acceptable than others, we should not ignore the origins of mans beliefs that pre date religion as we know it in the present time.

Wednesday 13 April 2011

Vaisakhi 13th or 14th April?

Whilst I was growing up Vaisakhi was to my knowledge always celebrated on the 13th, (which corresponds to April 13 in the Gregorian calendar), however of late, the date appears to alternate between the 13th or the 14th. So why is this, one source tells me that this is because the Gurduwara's are going by the Sikh Calender known as Nanakshahi Calender. Apparently this was adopted in 1998 when it came into use.
So does this mean Sikh's should celebrate their own birthday's according to the Nanakshahi calendar? If they don't, wouldn't this be hypocritical. What was the need to adopt the Nanakshahi calendar now after so many years, surely this will only serve to split peoples views, most of the older generation won't want to change what the've been doing for a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment